What is Quality Child Care?
- The provider is in compliance with state ratios.
- The facility/home is clean and safe.
- The staff is trained, educated and has early childhood experience.
- There are policies and procedures in place for toilet training, discipline, medication administration and emergencies.
- The children are allowed to make choices throughout their day and the activities and materials are developmentally appropriate for the age group.
- The children are read to and individual conversations between children and adults occur often.
- There is a consistent, daily schedule followed that has a combination of active and quiet activities.
- The children and staff seem happy.
- Providers communicate with parents through daily written reports, conferences and on an as needed basis.
- The center has a low turnover of staff.
- Children are with a consistent caregiver throughout their day.
- Outdoor space is available to the children unless there is inclement weather.
For more information about quality child care contact our Consumer Education Resource Specialist, Janet Soto at
or call 609-261-6834, ext. 5144.