What Questions to Ask When Visiting A Provider
Before making a selection visit several providers. Download this check-off list to compare the places you see. If you have any questions, please contact our Consumer Education Resource Specialist, Janet Soto at
or call 609-261-6834, ext. 5144.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm.
- Is the current license posted?
- Is area clean and child-proofed?
- Is the outdoor play area fenced in with a variety of climbing and ride-on-toys?
- Is the provider to child ratio adequate?
- Do the children and providers wash their hands before touching food, after diapering, toileting and coming in from outside?
- Is the food nutritious and provided under sanitary conditions?
- Are the toys developmentally appropriate and in good condition?
- Is a daily schedule posted?
- Is there a written policy for administering medication and caring for sick children?
- Are the same caregivers with the children throughout the day? Children benefit when they are cared for by the same individual.
- Is there a good balance between active play and quiet time? Are the children read to everyday?
- Is the curriculum child-centered, allowing the child the opportunity to explore, discover and learn through play?
- Do providers make eye contact when speaking to a child? Do children and adults talk to each other?
- Can parents visit any time? Are parent conferences held?
- Are children happy and treated with respect?
- Is the program’s discipline policy consistent with your ideas?
- Does the staff participate in on-going trainings and professional development? Do providers hold degrees in early childhood education?
- Does the provider have experience and education in child care? Who is in charge when the provider is absent?
- Did you enjoy visiting and like the providers?
- Is the provider accredited by a national organization, such as the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) or National Association of Family Child Care (NAFCC)? Accreditation signals a higher level of quality.